Canadian Michelle Lowe-Holder completed an MA in knitwear at Central Saint Martins and launched her eponymous collection in 2001. She has always included sustainable elements in her collections, but having children made her think more deeply about her long-term impact. Being mentored by the Centre for Sustainable Fashion was hugely influential in persuading her to work in a fully ethical manner.
Michelle quickly realised that she had always been most interested in the details, so she decided to concentrate on designing accessories in heritage craft styles from all the offcuts that had accumulated in her studio over the years. She has collaborated with photographer Polly Penrose to showcase her new accessories collections through images of unusual beauty…
Read the rest of this interview and see more illustrations of Michelle Lowe-Holder’s accessories in Amelia’s Compendium of Fashion Illustration, alongside interviews with 44 other ethical fashion designers and 30 fabulous fashion illustrators. You can buy the book here.
- London Fashion Week S/S 2011 Esthetica Review
- 123 Bethnal Green Road: An interview with Ross Barry and Michelle Goggi
- Nina Dolcetti: an interview with ethical shoe designer Elisalex Grunfeld de Castro
- Amelia’s Compendium of Fashion Illustration launch party illustrations: meet Michelle Urvall Nyrén
- Graduate Fashion Week 2012 Gala Awards Ceremony: Part One